My favorite cover

Readers' Choice Winner
Feast
“Pizza & Beer,” October 2017
Alexandrea Povis, Designer
Aaron Ottis, Photographer
"The sourdough starter at Pizza Tree has a name. Seymour gets fed twice daily, depending on how much pizza dough needs to be made on a given day – sometimes less, and definitely more when school is in session at Mizzou. John Gilbreth started the sourdough culture five years ago and has kept Seymour alive at Pizza Tree in the heart of downtown Columbia, Missouri, ever since. Seymour is our cover star dressed in a knockoff of the traditional Vietnamese bánh mì, featuring Sriracha-glazed pork belly, housemade purple kimchi, fresh cilantro and a chile aïoli drizzled in a mesmerizing spiral."

This cover is so interesting to look at, I love the symmetry of the pizza and the beautiful colors of it. The font is not quite cohesive but the color and placing (except the title) is superb. The contrast of fuchsia and  yellow is very dynamic and reflects the subject well. The food looks very appetizing and without even reading what the description I want to buy the magazine. Like I said previously, I don't agree with how the pizza is placed over the title of the magazine but the pizza looks so appetizing it doesn't bother me that much. I think the beer is oddly placed next to the pizza, I would have moved the cans to another location to add more dynamics. The lighting and exposure seem to be good, and many rules of photography are pictured. Overall the cover is very effective when capturing an audience but I definitely would have changed some spacial issues. 

Comments

Popular Posts